@ the University of Louisiana at Lafayette
The Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing is an entirely online program that will provide professionals knowledge and experience composing in a wide range of professional and technical genres for a wide range of audiences in technical and professional writing (both print and online), as well as in document design, editing, and collaborating with others in creating texts for business, government, and technical purposes. This 15-hour graduate certificate will qualify students for positions as professional or technical writers and provides the opportunity for professionals in business, government, and technical positions to greatly enhance their writing, editing, and document design abilities. The program is designed to be an additional credential or enhancement, not a substitute for a graduate degree. Students completing the five-course program will earn a graduate certificate that will appear on their permanent transcripts.
An applicant must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university prior to acceptance into the Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing Program.
An applicant should submit the following items for admission:
- Graduate School’s Online Application
- Application Fee
- Official Transcripts showing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university
- Statement of Purpose
Non-native speakers must also submit current, official TOEFL or IELTS scores. TOEFL scores below 550 on the written examination or below 81 on the Internet-based exam are not considered satisfactory. IELTS scores below 6.5 are not considered satisfactory.
Students can be admitted to the program for Fall, Spring or Summer enrollment.
Candidates must successfully complete all five (5) courses listed below with a grade of “B” or better to receive the Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing.
- ENGL 472 – Professional Writing
- ENGL 473 – Professional Editing
- ENGL 474 – Document Design
- ENGL 462 – Special Projects in Professional Writing (ENGL 464 – Special Topics in Rhetoric and Composition and ENGL 556 – Seminar in Rhetoric may be substituted for ENGL 462 with the permission of the Department of English)
- ENGL 463 – Professional Writing Practicum
- ENGL 472 – Professional Writing. Emphasis on extended projects that involve generating and gathering information, and designing and producing documents for government, industry, and business.
- ENGL 474 – Document Design. Principles of professional document design with emphasis on the application of these principles in creating print and electronic documents.
- ENGL 473 – Professional Editing. Practical application of professional editing in government, industry, and business.
- ENGL 462 – Special Projects in Professional Writing. Special projects courses focus on an aspect of professional writing. Special projects include, but are not limited to, grant writing, e-publishing, and new media design.
- ENGL 462 – Special Projects in Professional Writing will be offered as an 8-week Summer course.
Professional Writing Practicum will be offered as needed.
- ENGL 463 – Professional Writing Practicum. Industry, agency, or university internship.
This entirely online program offers 16-week courses in Fall and Spring and 8-week courses in Summer. The program can be completed in twelve or sixteen months.
12-Month Plan: Students who schedule two courses in Fall and Spring will be able to complete the program in twelve months with a Summer internship.
16-month Plan: Students who prefer to schedule one course per semester will be able to complete the program in sixteen months with an internship concurrent with their final semester.
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and its online programs must be authorized in all states prior to offering those courses or programs to residents. The following map shows states UL is authorized to offer the Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing.