Are you the saddest one in the room? Does every day seem like a bummer? Is your bad attitude affecting your life? I’ve got something you can try!
The Sad Truth of Being Positive
Have you ever had a bad day? Of course you have, everyone has. If you’re looking to learn how to never have a bad day again, that’s impossible. Give up on that notion while you still can. You see what I just did there? I had a negative attitude. Are you feeling uplifted yet? Of course not. I am supposed to tell you that you can make anything happen through the power of optimism, but having a positive attitude doesn’t mean you’re optimistic all the time. Positive attitude consists of being hopeful and confident in your successes, not looking for sunshine and rainbows in everything.
How Positivity Can Improve Your Life
Okay, let’s be honest here. Positivity has always come easy to me, and I know that is not the case for everyone. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be writing this post. Maintaining my positive attitude has certainly improved my life. I spend less time dwelling on mistakes and obstacles. My work has improved, and I meet my academic and personal goals more often than not. So, the reason you should take my advice is because practicing positivity will only help you.
- Academically: Positive attitude will lead to better grades, and it will make meeting deadlines more manageable.
- Professionally: You will become more confident in your work, and you will develop better decision making skills. Positivity will also benefit your work environment. For example, positivity is contagious so, as you develop an optimistic view of your work, such as through positive self-talk, others will notice and want to implement that positivity in their work.
- Personally: Goals will become easier to accomplish, and your state of mind will improve.
Being More Positive
Most might think you cannot learn to have a positive attitude, but that goes against the concept of positive thinking. Anyone can become more positive. Here are some tips:
- Surround yourself with those you consider to be positive people to influence your own thinking.
- Be confident in any work you do.
- Acknowledge your past successes to influence your future accomplishments.
- Create your own mantra, or find one you like. The more you repeat it, the more you’ll believe it. Mine is: Be unapologetically you, and believe in that version of you.
“I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy” -Crying Girl from Mean Girls
How I Stay Positive
My best advice is to try your best and learn as you go. Everyone becomes better with experience. Don’t be too hard on yourself because you are going to have bad days, and that is okay. You really have to want to be more positive, and you can’t assume it will happen overnight.
Positive attitude is an important, yet underrated soft skill. Yes, positivity shouldn’t be your only soft skill, but it is certainly a good skill to start with. You will have a significant advantage over those who don’t remain positive. Your academic, professional, and personal lives will improve by becoming more positive. The best way to do so is to believe you can, even if you don’t succeed everyday.
Mean Girls Quote Found Here: http://www.moviequotedb.com/movies/mean-girls/quote_15149.html